WHAT IS THE Pre-IMSD Program?
The Pre-IMSD program (previously the BEP Program) introduces undergraduates to research, laboratory techniques, pre-graduate school planning and resources, and mentors students year-round to increase their competitiveness for graduate school in the biomedical/behavioral sciences.
Pre-IMSD scholars will be highly competitive to apply for a junior/senior IMSD Program funded position.
Pre-IMSD positions are available to support students over the summer and the academic year to gain hands-on research training and pre-graduate school mentoring.
Pre-IMSD Scholars will be considered for the IMSD Program upon completing 1-2 semesters as a Pre-IMSD Scholar successfully.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
- Freshman- or sophomore-level students majoring in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics fields) and behavioral science areas, with at least one semester of SDSU STEM grades on their SDSU DAR.
- Eligible Majors: biology, chemistry, biochemistry, computer science, engineering, environmental science, health science, mathematics, physics/astronomy, psychology, public health, speech language hearing science, statistics.
- Students who have a strong commitment to apply to doctoral programs in the biomedical/behavioral sciences.
- Students who are passionate about science and interested in gaining research experience to prepare for graduate school (Ph.D.)
- Note: Funded positions are not open to pre-professional health students whose goals are to earn a Pharm D, Medical Degree, Dental Degree, etc. However, if you are interested in applying to Ph.D. programs in Pharmaceutical Science, Kinesiology, or the M.D./Ph.D. program, you may apply.
- Pre-M.D./Ph.D students: If you are seeking a medical-scientist (M.D./Ph.D.) degree, please keep in mind that you must demonstrate a GPA of 3.5 or higher, and your first priority must be the Ph.D. degree.
- Minimum of 3.0 grade point average, however, we encourage all students to apply
All Pre-IMSD Scholars must:
- Work a minimum of 10 hours/week over the summer months
- Work a minimum of 5 hours/week over the fall and spring semesters
- Attend all IMSD activities, seminars, workshops, as directed by the program (attendance is enforced)
- Meet with assigned IMSD scholars as directed by program. Each Pre-IMSD scholar will be matched with a peer mentor (a senior IMSD scholar on track to apply directly to Ph.D. programs).
- Prepare for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) throughout their Pre-IMSD appointment
- Note: Once Pre-IMSD students are selected and matched with a faculty mentor, laboratory schedules are determined by the faculty mentor and Pre-IMSD student. Lab schedules are flexible to accommodate courses over the summer and the academic year.
- Completed applications must be emailed to Brittnie Bloom (firstname.lastname@example.org) or delivered to GMCS 322C.
- Applicants should investigate and study the research areas of faculty mentors that match their areas of interest and list five (5) faculty members on their application. Note: It is HIGHLY recommended that all BEP applicants email their top 3 faculty members and inform them that they are applying to the Pre-IMSD Program, schedule a meeting, and learn about the research in their laboratory.
- Complete applications will be reviewed.
- Selected applicants will be invited to interview.
- All Pre-IMSD Scholars will receive help to meet faculty members and students in their laboratories of interest.
All Pre-IMSD questions should be directed to: